The ruins of a Cistercian Monastry.
Tintern Abbey is situated in the Wye Valley between Monmouth and Chepstow and alongside the A466. These remarkable ruins were once home to around 400 Cistercian monks.
The Abbey was founded in 1131 AD, was rebuilt between 1270 and 1301 and continued to be used for almost 250 years. Even though the life of the Abbey was devastated by the Black Death in 1349 it survived until 1536 and the dissolution of the monastries under Henry VIII.
The Abbey was soon plundered for it's roofing lead and building stone and quickly deteriorated remaining unused for over 200 years. Towards the end of the 18th Century the Wye Valley was becoming a popular attraction for tourists and the ruins of the Abbey began to be tidied up. The magnificent scenery along the valley was soon being enjoyed by travellers on the Wye Valley Railway and although the railway no longer exists the building of the A466 Monmouth to Chepstow road now makes the area easily accessible to the modern traveller.
The ruins of the Abbey are now carefully looked after by Cadw, Welsh Historic Monuments with a small visitor centre and shop which is open most days and is well worth a visit. More information about the village of Tintern it's history and attractions are available on the village web site